Thursday, March 5, 2009

Wii + Fitness




I am lazy. I get bored easily. I don't like pain.


These are just a few of the reasons I don't exercise. There are many more and they are all excuses. None of them are real but I use them anyway. I am working on trying to get healthy and that means building my body so that it is a fit one. To do that I will need to start to exercise.


Over the years I have tried many different things to motivate me to work out. One of them was investing way too much money in a Wii Fit. It is a great concept but didn't work for me as an actual exercise/workout program. Having to stop between each exercise to choose the next one was a pain. Also having to jump all over the screen to get the next exercise that links with the one you just did was annoying. I quit using it after a few weeks. The only thing that I use it for now is to hula hoop and to go skiing.


I was recently in Best Buy and found a couple of new exercise video games that caught my interest. Luckily I checked out the reviews before getting either one. There is one by Jillian Michaels from the biggest loser. According to the reviews it is a horrible game and she should be embarrassed that her name is attached to it. The other one is called "My Fitness Coach", I finally gave in to the impulse purchase problem I have and got it.


To start with you go enter in a bunch of info such as your age, height, weight, and measurements. Then you do a few exercises and enter in how many you were able to complete. This initializes the workouts that you will do.


The workout is run by a woman Maya, who actually has a decent (not annoying) voice. Once you start your workout a stream of exercises runs across the bottom of the screen. The idea is that the exercises are all timed and the stream shows you how long you have left. Maya demonstrates what the exercise is and talks you through each one. At a certain point she will give you 3 options No Sweat, I Was Working Hard, and I Couldn't Keep Up. You choose one of them to rate how hard you just worked. Then next time you do those types of exercises she will up the difficulty level.


It is a pretty neat game. I have done 2 15 minute sessions this week and felt like I worked through each one. Hopefully I can stick with it for a while. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment